You adopt a new kitten or cat and look forward to years of fun, happiness, and purring. But, what if your new friend is stressed out, runs under the bed, and doesn’t come out? The good news is: There is a lot you can do to help your buddy relax and feel safe.
First, you should know that some cats, just like some people, are shy. Accept your kitties personality. However, if you have a rescue, a cat that was a stray or feral, or one that was poorly socialized you’ll have to work patiently at helping them overcome their fear. Here are some steps you can take.
- Be patient. This won’t happen overnight.
- Give your new cat some space, let them come to you.
- Give them treats but don’t pet them yet.
- Let them have a hiding place, they need a place to go when they feel afraid.
- Play with them, it helps build trust.
- Remain calm and try and keep your household calm and quiet. Cats are very sensitive to the energy in your home. Make sure your children follow these rules.
- Give your cat some verticle space; cats seem to feel better when they are out of reach. Put a blanket on a bookshelf, on top of the frig, or get a cat tree that is very tall.
- Put an article of your worn clothing, with your scent on it, in their hiding spot.
- Don’t force them to be petted, allow them to come to you.
- Try speaking your kitty’s secret language, give your kitty some slow blinks. Instead of petting them just sit or lay a few feet away from them and when they look at you, close your eyes slowly, keep them closed for a couple of seconds and open them slowly again. Repeat. If your kitty blinks back at you, it means they are starting to calm down.
Give your cat some time and space and you’ll soon see your scaredy-cat become a confident kitty.
Top Trending Articles
K9 CARING ANGELS cordially invites you to attend their live fundraising art auction which brings all of our top interests (pets, art, wine, and cheese) together! Tickets are only $30
This will be the first article in a series that will highlight pet-friendly apartments in Washington, DC. Finding the right apartment for you and your pet can be a challenge.
Each year there are over 100,000 reported cases of pet poisoning in the USA. Last month I joined the club. In February my dog Bella ate about 30-40 hip &
Pet owners may be surprised to learn that there are two types of dog walkers, hobbyists and professionals. Pet owners in Washington, DC have different needs and values and there
Are you looking for something fun to do with your pup? Check out these upcoming dog friendly events in DC! Featured Event: Barks and Brews Festival in Van Ness! CELEBRATE OUR
Your cat's tail is actually telling you a tale. Animals communicate with vocalizations and body language. How your cat holds or moves its tail can be a good indication of
Here are some interesting pet articles, pictures, and videos we've found on the net. What is it With Cats and Boxes?New Netflix Series Celebrates the Bond Between Humans and Dogs5