How can you keep your dog safe and happy this summer?
- Keep your best friend hydrated this summer, have multiple water bowls inside and out. Change the water frequently to keep it fresh.
- Limit exercise, especially in the heat of the day. Take your walks early in the morning or later in the evening.
- If it’s over 85o leave your dog at home. They don’t need to be in a hot car or on a run with you, remember they are wearing a fur coat!
- Use air conditioning if it’s sweltering and humid. No A/C? Keep the blinds down, windows open, and fans on.
- Consider a haircut. Talk to your groomer about it, but most long-haired dogs will benefit from a new shorter summer hairdo!
- Don’t leave your dog in the car, not even for a few minutes.
- If your dog likes sunbathing be sure they move to the shade every 15 minutes so they don’t overheat! If they are in a deep snooze they may not move to a shady spot on their own.
- Buy frozen dog treats or make your own. Take a Kong and put yogurt and nut butter in it and freeze it. Give it to your pooch for a delicious cooling treat.
- If your dog loves water go for a swim (and read last months article about swimming).
- Here is a twist on an old favorite – play a game of ice cube fetch.
- Asphalt and concrete are boiling HOT on your pup’s pads (see the graphic at the end of the newsletter).
- Look into cooling dog beds as an option if your dog can’t take the heat, or get a raised dog cot to allow for air circulation on the underside.
- If your dog is overheated offer an ice pack or wet towels to lay on. Dogs cool down more with cool water on their feet and tummy than on their back.
- Be extra careful with “at risk” dogs. Dogs that have short snouts, breathing issues, heart disease or are seniors have a higher chance of heat issues.
Keep your cool and have fun this summer!
Top Trending Articles
K9 CARING ANGELS cordially invites you to attend their live fundraising art auction which brings all of our top interests (pets, art, wine, and cheese) together! Tickets are only $30
This will be the first article in a series that will highlight pet-friendly apartments in Washington, DC. Finding the right apartment for you and your pet can be a challenge.
Each year there are over 100,000 reported cases of pet poisoning in the USA. Last month I joined the club. In February my dog Bella ate about 30-40 hip &
By Kim Reed Pet owners may be surprised to learn that there are two types of dog walkers, hobbyists and professionals. Pet owners have different needs and values and there
Your cat's tail is actually telling you a tale. Animals communicate with vocalizations and body language. How your cat holds or moves its tail can be a good indication of
Here are some interesting pet articles, pictures, and videos we've found on the net. What is it With Cats and Boxes?New Netflix Series Celebrates the Bond Between Humans and Dogs5
March 2, 2019St. Patrick’s Day Parade Fun Dog Show in Alexandria, VA. Because every dog is Irish for St. Patrick's Day. Contest categories include: Dog & Owner Look Alike, St.